||Little Rock, Arkansas
educators, after learning that Oakland, California educators have started
classes teaching ethnic slang, decided there is also a need to designate
southern slang as a geographic language. Ergo, "Hickphonics" -- Here is a
sampling from the new Arkansas Hickphonics dictionary now being
1. HEIDI - noun. greeting.
2. HIRE YEW - complete sentence. remainder of greeting. Usage: "Heidi, hire
3. BARD - verb. past tense of "to borrow". Usage: "My brother bard my pickup
4. JAWJUH - noun. a state just north of Florida. Capital is Lanna. Usage:"My
brother from Jawjuh bard my pickup truck."
5. BAMMER - noun. state just west of Jawjuh. Usage: "A tornader went thru
bammer 'n left $20 million in improvements."
6. MUNTS - noun. a calendar division. Usage: "My brother from Jawjuh bard
my pickup truck and I ain't herd from him in munts."
7. THANK - verb. ability to cognitively process. Usage: "Ah thank ah'll have
8. BARE - noun. an alcoholic beverage. Usage: "Ah thank ah'll have a bare."
9. IGNERT - adjective. not smart. see "Arkansas native". Usage: "Some of
those Bammer boys sure are ignert."
10. RANCH - noun. a tool used for tight'nin' bolts. Usage: "I thank I left
my ranch in the back of my pickup truck that my brother from Jawjuh bard
a few munts ago."
11. ALL - noun. a petroleum-based product. Usage: "I sure hope my brother
from Jawjuh puts all in my pickup truck."
12. FAR - noun. a conflagration. Usage: "If my brother from Jawjuh don't
change the all in the pickup truck he bard, that thangs gonna catch far."
13. TAR - noun. a rubber wheel. Usage: "I hope my brother from Jawjuh don'
git a flat tar in my pickup truck."
14. TARRED - adverb. Exhausted. Usage: "I just flew in from Lanna, and boy
are my arms tarred."
15. FARN - adjective. not from here. Usage: "I can't unnerstant a wurd he
sed. He must be from sum farn cuntry." 16. DID - adjective. not alive. Usage:
"He ain't breathin.' Must be did."
17. EAR - noun. a colorless gas (except in LA. Usage: "I'm gonna go outside
fer some fresh ear!"
18. BOB WAR - noun. a sharp twisted cable. Usage: "Stay away from that bob
19. JEW HERE - noun and verb contraction. Usage: "Jew here that my brother
from Jawjuh got a job with that bob war fence company?"
20. HAZE - a contraction. Usage: "Is Bubba smart? Nah, haze ignert.
21. SEED - verb. past tense of see.
22. VIEW - contraction: verb and pronoun. Usage: "I ain't never seed New
23. GUMMIT - noun. a bureaucratic state or federal institution. Usage: "them
gummit boys sure are ignert."